Saturday, January 29, 2011

2011 . . . the year of the cook

I've been struggling lately with finding enough time to knit or crochet or any of the other crafts I love to do, but have spent the summer growing food, cooking food and, unfortunately, eating food. And over the past weeks I've been toying with the idea of creating a new blog; one the better reflects who I am two years on from starting to blog.

So, here we are at the onset of my first food blog. And today's little food experiment has been to process some rhubarb that I picked from the garden the other day. It's so difficult to photograph a boiling pot of water with jars inside but it's been a fun process.

I cooked up the rhubarb as I would to make a pie or crumble and then placed the cooked rhubarb and juice into hot jars. The jars, now sealed, were placed into a large saucepan full of boiling water with a tea towel laying on the bottom of the pan and left to boil for twenty minutes. All the air has been sucked out of the jars and now they should sit happily on my self until the winter months when we need some hot desserts inside our tummies on a cold winter evening.

With all the tomatoes finally coming ripe on the vines I'm intending to apply the process to them as well to save having to buy cans of tomatoes for our pasta dishes and the such like. All I need is to find a reliable and cheap supply of preserving jars. (I've used up most of the ones I've saved over the year on tomato chutney . . . I love late summer as it's when all the fun kitchen stuff begins.)

2 comments:

  1. Yum - someone told me the other day to get rid of the funny feeling stewed rhubarb can leave on your teeth, add a little bit of bicarb soda - your preserves sound delicious.... lots of love, Kate xxooxx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is an interesting fact. Thanks Kate, I'll try that. The other interesting thing about rhubarb is that, if you've burnt the inside bottom of a pot and you can't get the burning off, stew up a batch of rhubarb and leave it to cool in the pot. The burning will come right off. I think it's got something to do with the acid in the stalks.

    ReplyDelete